*Sleeping Insomniac*
this is a blog that contains stuff about stuff:
lunes, septiembre 26, 2005
My dad makes good doves. Jalapenos... Mmm. I can't say much for the brocolli and artificial cheese, though. Go figure.

So. I suppose it's time for my experience during the Hurricane Rita drama scene.

First, I'll start out by explaining the story about our mysteriously ill kitty, Angel. I say she's "mysteriously ill" because she seems to be at least partially deaf and runs away from all of us when we get within a few yards or - if we're lucky - a few feet of her. Alrighty then. We needed to round up all of the cats into the house so that we could get them in the car before my dad was ready to leave. He said that we would leave when he was ready, even if we didn't have all of the cats. Yay... I also needed to medicate them all with Revolution to keep the fleas and ticks off of them because we planned on going to the ranch. I first found Saavik, of course, gave her the medicine, and put her inside. I then gave Andy his medicine but left him outside because I knew we'd be able to find him when we were ready to leave. I still couldn't find John Paul or Callie, so I got ahold of Angel (wow), gave her the medicine, and put her inside. Finally my mom found the very pregnant Callie. I gave Callie her medicine and put her inside. No one could find John Paul. I was terrified. I couldn't leave J.P.! I searched and searched. My mom searched. Austin even searched, though it doesn't count much. I had to make sandwiches, so I got Lizzie to search. I got her to look around the neighborhood, except the bum only looked around the dead end and came back. I told her to make her own sammich so that I could go look for John Paul. WHERE WAS HE?! I called his name and made the 'kitty call' that we make to no avail. I decided to go look in the hole that I've seen them go into before in the far corner of our backyard next to Pac Man's yard. Yeah, that's actually his name; he's Asian. I stood by the hole for about a minute, calling his name and making the call. FINALLY, he came out! Miracle #1. I gave him the medicine and put him inside. Later, I went back outside for some reason, and Angel ran out of the house behind me. Crud. She ran underneath the deck. Double-crud. I reached under the deck and grabbed what I thought was her hind leg. I hear a growl and realize it's Andy's front paw that I'm dragging. "Oh well, I might as well get Andy out." But where was Angel? I thought I saw her go under there... I sprayed the deck with the hose and jumped up and down on the deck, hoping she would come out. She never did. We had to leave without her. My mom and I decided to pray the rosary in the car, and we ended up dedicating three decades at least partly to Angel and her safety. After talking to Julie on the phone, I felt more guilty about leaving Angel at the house. I started crying in the car. It was my fault Angel got out; I opened the door. Austin started crying later -- Angel was his favorite cat. (Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with her running away from people.) My mom and dad assured us that Angel would be fine. That didn't really work after discovering that the hurricane was a category 5 and that the eye was predicted to pass right over Lake Jackson. My mom decided to call the Kanya's, our neighbors across the street. You know, with Crazy Carl. They didn't answer. Then I looked up Pac Man in the phone book, but he wasn't listed in that one, so I called Tiffany. At last, an answer! Miracle #2. Tiffany and her dad said that they would look for Angel. Tiffany would open the garage door for her, in case she wanted to go in for shelter during the hurricane. I got a call later from Tiffany, saying that she found Angel and had her in Lizzie's dead bird's bird cage (how ironic). Miracle #3. They could take Angel with them but couldn't keep her at the house they were going to in Sugarland, so they could drop Angel off at someone's house if we could think of someone. My mom called my Aunt Charlotte (my mom's very good friend from years back -- not ACTUALLY my aunt) who lives in Sugarland. She got home early from work that day, so my mom was able to get ahold of her. Miracle #4. Aunt Charlotte would indeed be able to take care of Angel; she had a cat, so she had kitty litter and food. She and her husband were also thinking about getting a cat, so she might keep Angel. Sweet -- We never intended to keep Angel, but she never got a home. We were all relieved. Austin and I stopped crying. Our prayers were answered better than we could have imagined. I got a call from Tiffany the next morning, explaining that Aunt Charlotte was too far away and that she didn't intend on fighting the traffic to get Angel. Tiffany said that they would take Angel to the house they were staying at anyway. I got calls later from Tiffany; she told me that everyone was playing with Angel and that she seemed pretty happy. Wow. Angel was okay.

On Wednesday, my family and I left around 2 or 2:30 to go to the ranch in Roosevelt. Right. The stupid Troopers decided to make everyone ever go the same route, even if they didn't need to. After waiting in a traffic jam for an hour or so, we found out that we weren't allowed to go down 36, so we turned around and had to go the long way. Later, 36 was unblocked, and people were allowed to go through. *slaps head* Greeeeeaaaaat. We finally got to my grandfather's house in Houston around 10:00PM that night. We visited, slept for three to four hours, and left at 4 in the morning to continue on our way to Roosevelt. I recall telling Sarah on the phone that we had gone 8 miles in 8 hours. Yeah, we finally gave up on going to the ranch and decided to go to my cousins' house in Fulshear near Brookshire. We got there around 4 or 4:30PM. The traffic was INSANE. Thankfully, we had food, and my parents were able to get full tanks of gas before we left and the night we arrived at my grandfather's house in each suburban. There was a lot of prayer going on. I took over *driving for my mom at 9:30AM so that she could rest. I suddenly had to go to the bathroom. We were stuck in horrible traffic, so I prayed to God that I wouldn't have to go anymore. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I didn't have to go anymore after I prayed. Cool, huh? Well, my grandfather's car over-heated when he went on his way to my cousins' house, so my mom and my Aunt Laurette went to go get him. Aunt Laurette and Uncle Rick's house is niiiiice.

You remember how I said that Callie was very pregnant? I talked to Julie on my cell phone a little while after we left on Saturday to go back home. I told her I thought Callie would deliver in no more than a week. Thirty minutes after I hung up, Callie gave birth to her first kitten of the litter. In the car. On the road. AHHH! Austin moved into my seat in the front, Lizzie moved into Austin's seat next to her, and I moved into Lizzie's seat next to Callie. I got the basket we had brought just in case this happened, carefully picked up Callie with her dangling kitten, and put them in the basket. She gave birth to two more in the car. After an hour and a half of driving, we arrived back home, and Callie gave birth to two more kittens. I was pretty positive that she was going to have at least six kittens, but she stopped at five. There are three kittens that will look like her, one looks like it'll be a tabby, and I predict the first-born will either look like Saavik or Angel. We can't know yet. Yay for kitties! Adopt one! PLEASE! We can't keep any! HELP!!!!!

So that's my story. I know it was long.

*driving -- taking foot off the brake, putting foot on the brake, taking foot off the brake, putting foot on the brake...