martes, junio 22, 2004
After reading Mark's (the male Shockley twin) post on Purgatory on his blog [http://biblestuff.blogspot.com/], I became extremely upset. While reading, my heart felt very strange. I didn't like the feeling either. I do believe I overdid my complaining, so I finally went to a particular site that I found very interesting while in the middle of my third comment. I read a whole lot, which calmed me down, so I decided to just put the address on my comment, and that would be all. If you're curious as to where we (Catholics) got Purgatory, go here: http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0041.html
This was a very interesting paragraph (along with MANY others):
"But where is the word “purgatory?” I began to see that this question revealed an ignorance on my part. The Scriptures were written in Hebrew and Greek. “Purgatory” comes from the Latin word purgatorium. In Scripture, we do find references to an afterlife that is neither the hell of the damned nor heaven. In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word sheol is used to describe this condition; in the New Testament, the Greek term is hades. I had always thought that hades was hell, but Scripture teaches very clearly that hades is not hell; it is distinct from gehenna, or the lake of fire which is the hell of the damned. In fact, the Book of Revelation describes how, at the end of time, death and hades are thrown into hell (gehenna). This is the second death, the lake of fire. Scripture teaches that at the end of time, there is no more death; and once the purification of all souls has taken place, there is no more need for hades. This same concept of sheol (in Hebrew), hades (in Greek), and purgatorium (in Latin) is purgatory as we have come to know it today (cf. Catechism, nos. 1030-32)."
I'm so tired, everybody... I'm going to bed finally. Forgive me if I came off too angry. I'm just so tired!
This was a very interesting paragraph (along with MANY others):
"But where is the word “purgatory?” I began to see that this question revealed an ignorance on my part. The Scriptures were written in Hebrew and Greek. “Purgatory” comes from the Latin word purgatorium. In Scripture, we do find references to an afterlife that is neither the hell of the damned nor heaven. In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word sheol is used to describe this condition; in the New Testament, the Greek term is hades. I had always thought that hades was hell, but Scripture teaches very clearly that hades is not hell; it is distinct from gehenna, or the lake of fire which is the hell of the damned. In fact, the Book of Revelation describes how, at the end of time, death and hades are thrown into hell (gehenna). This is the second death, the lake of fire. Scripture teaches that at the end of time, there is no more death; and once the purification of all souls has taken place, there is no more need for hades. This same concept of sheol (in Hebrew), hades (in Greek), and purgatorium (in Latin) is purgatory as we have come to know it today (cf. Catechism, nos. 1030-32)."
I'm so tired, everybody... I'm going to bed finally. Forgive me if I came off too angry. I'm just so tired!